Friday, June 01, 2007

Immigration Reform: This Time, It's Personal

At least it is for George Bush, writes Julie Mason in the Houston Chronicle:

"I feel passionate about the issue. It's something I have felt strongly about ever since I was the governor of Texas," he said.

"Texas is a very diverse state, Houston is a very diverse city, and through that diversity, if you're open-minded, you get a great sense of how it invigorates the society," said Bush, a Houston resident in the 1960s and '70s.

Growing up in Texas, Bush said, "you recognize the decency and hard work and humanity of Hispanics. And the truth of the matter is a lot of this immigration debate is driven as a result of Latinos being in our country."

Or to be more specific, an unhappiness about Latinos being in the country. Bush, for the first time, is putting opponents on notice that he's going to call them out on their xenophobia if he needs to. In last year's failed effort at passing immigration reform, he never went that far.

Again with the name calling! George, can I make it any simpler for you? It's not immigration we're opposed to, it's illegal immigration! It's about hating the idea of rewarding lawbreakers with one of the greatest privileges of all - U.S. citizenship, and all that includes.

Speaking as someone who wouldn't even be in this country if not for immigration, I can assure you I am neither xenophobic or anti-immigrant. What I am is American, and I'm sicked at how easy it is for some to just...give that away.

"People shouldn't fear our capacity to uphold our motto, E Pluribus Unum," Bush said.
Screw you, George! You'll never convince me that all these "manys" will somehow assimilate into one cohesive "one".

No comments: