Thursday, October 26, 2006

A Poem...

I just saw this in the comments section on Sweetness & Light, one of my regular reads. The poster's name is Nimblicity; his name wasn't linked to a blog, so I don't know if he has a site of his own. I also don't know if the poem is an original or something he found somewhere. What I do know is that it's a very clever summary of just what's facing this country right now.

And so, without further ado:

Two Guys and a Girl in Blue Jeans
“You’re a prude,” said the Euro with his hand in his pants.
“Your clothes and conventions oppress you.”
He gave her a box of buttons and a silk sock, and said,
“This is how I would dress you.”

“You’re a slut,” said the Mullah with his finger in the air.
“Your shirt and tight blue jeans reveal you.”
He gave her a baggy burqa and a silk shawl, and said
“Here’s is how I’d conceal you.”

She spurned one and both,rejecting with
pride the folly with which each would drape her.
Thus scorned, these two found,though they should
be foes,common cause and conspired to rape her.

“She” is America. The last stanza is yours to write–not with words but deeds. And
there’s a lot more at stake than public standards of dress.

No comments: