Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Harry Reid: Illegals Are Americans

I just saw this on Michelle Malkin's site. She hits the nail on the head with her opening sentence, "The concept of American citiznship is dead."
Sen. Harry Reid drove the final nail in the coffin with his floor statement yesterday, in which he referred to the 12 million illegal aliens currently in the U.S. as "12 million undocumented Americans." I've heard a lot of stupid euphemisms for illegal aliens, but that one takes the cake.

Michelle provides links to a video clip and a transcript on the Senate Democrats' website.

It would really be nice if this were a misspeak on Reid's part. Unfortunately, I don't think it is. I truly believe he and all those who support this travesty of an amnesty bill see those 12 million illegals as "unofficial" Americans, and the amnesty is just the thing to make things official.

I mean, hey they live here, right? They want to be here, they want to stay here. What more do you want?

You unbelievable bastards.

When I was younger mean, ignorant people used to tease me. They called me a foreigner and would tell me to "go back home". It was hurtful, but I always reminded myself that, no matter what they said, this was my home. I was an American citizen; more than that, I was an American. Although my family had moved here (legally), I had been born here. My heart had neither love for or allegiance to any other country save this one. I never questioned the idea that, as an American, I was part of something grander, bigger, and more special than anything else on this Earth.

Until now.

Citizenship is now a bargaining chip, to be cashed in for the sake of votes. Being an "American" will soon mean nothing more that simply being in the country for a specified period of time. And instead of getting better, things will only get worse.

I hate to imagine what things will be like then.

No comments: