Friday, September 08, 2006

To Boldly Go - Star Trek Turns 40

September 8, 1966.

Star Trek airs for the first time. Hell, yeah!

Ever since I was a kid, I loved curling up and watching the valiant crew of the Enterprise travel the galaxy, boldly going where no man had gone before. In elementary school, we would always play Star Trek at recess. Lucky for me, my black hair always meant that I got to be Spock. As the years went by, I fed my appetite for Trek with the cartoon, assorted books, all of the movies (Khaaaaaaaaaan!), and of course the subsequent series (full disclosure: I never got that into Voyager or Enterprise).

I was in my 30's when I finally bought all of the Trek toys that I had always wanted when I was younger. I have two tricorders, two phasers, and a couple of communicators. I was nutting out when G4 started showing Trek all the time. Weeknights at 11:00 pm, Saturday marathons, and Next Generation episodes during the week. And, thanks to J.J. Abrams, we have another movie to look forward to.

Set phasers on action!

Forty years later, I'm getting to introduce my daughter to Star Trek. She's not quite there yet (okay, she's not into it at all). She's only five, though - I've still got lots of time to get her hooked.

Happy birthday, Star Trek!

No comments: